Los Angeles has grown oddly over the years. There used to be lots of space set aside for the old Red Cars and train tracks that are no longer used. In richer neighborhoods, like Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, they have been repurposed to expand roads, provide parking spaces, or at least to house plants and green space.
But in many poorer areas, they are simply left as trash plots and urban blight. Well, while I have been away, there has been work to use some of these as lower-income housing infill. Here are some very cool images of the "Isla Intersections" housing. I will include the write-up below, but the key takeaway from me is the unique and innovative use of land and low-cost building supplies to create affordable housing.
This remnant of the street was left during the construction of the 105 and the 110 interchange. (For those with a more verbal memory, the Harbor and Century freeways). It is cool. And designed to buffer noise - which is why the Imperial Ave side is kind of boring.
Interestingly, I was born at a hospital about 1/4 mile away.
4 more pics






No comments:
Post a Comment