Wednesday, July 1, 2026

There is quite the kerfuffle right now about Democratic Socialists

 There is quite the gnashing of teeth right now regarding the primary wins of the "Democratic Socialists" wing of the Democratic Party.

These officials are quite often pro-Gaza and anti-police. Even if they are not pro-Gaza, they are definitely open to or advocate for the ending of funds going to Israel. Since Israel is a rich nation that doesn't need our help, I get that.


Although, to be honest, our monetary support of Israel's defense budget is normally directed right back to US Defense contractors - but I digress.

Anyway, there is quite a lament about these Democrats' elections and where it will "pull" the party.

I am not here to argue their policies*, but I am here to note that we have all been here before. While this sounds like a complete change and betrayal of where Democrats were before, it is probably more a pull of younger voters' desires. 

We saw this same turmoil around 1968 - 1974 regarding the Vietnam War. Younger voters were vehemently opposed to the war. And many older Democrats thought this spelled the party's doom. The party did not fall apart. It tore itself apart for a convention and a few years, but it worked itself back together with a new mandate.

We are probably going through something like that.

*I will note that Bill Maher's promise to vote for Republicans if Democrats turn down extra aid to Israel is kind of rich. Let's think about that statement. Bill Maher would rather destroy our democracy (which he says the Republicans are doing) than end foreign aid to Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Odyssey

 Well, we saw The Odyssey yesterday in IMAX. It was fine. Which is sad; it might have been amazballs. Here are my positive criticisms: It wa...