Goodness, gracious. Some people are way too much. I think someone was never told "no" growing up.
Dear Care and Feeding,
Ever since I was a little girl, I always knew I wanted to have twins.
I’d always pretend my dolls were twins. My mom even noticed and one birthday I got two Samantha dolls so they could be twins, too. When I was dating my now-husband, I told him that my biggest wish was to have twins. He said he hoped he could make it happen for me one day. It’s one of the reasons I fell in love with him.
Well, now we are married and we have two kids, both singles. I love them both, of course, but I’m ready for my twins! I told my husband it’s time for us to do IVF so we can get our twins. Now he’s saying that it’s too expensive and he doesn’t think we can afford it. To me, this is unacceptable! He knew that this would be a part of our family story. Yes, obviously, it would have been better if it had just happened, but it didn’t. How can I convince him that he needs to make this dream come true for me?
—Want My Twins
At least the advice columnist is on our planet.
Dear Want My Twins,
I know what it feels like to hold on to a dream since childhood: I planned my life around marrying a certain 90s rapper from when I was 8 years old (despite the fact that he was then already a full-grown man) I got a lot closer than you may suspect! However, sometimes our real adult lives do not line up with what we dreamed of.
Your husband never promised you twins, he said he hoped to be able to make it happen for you; he got you pregnant at least twice, I’d say both of you put forth a great effort. I don’t know your financial situation, but the average family cannot afford to comfortably support four children, and it seems your husband feels that is the case for the two of you. You didn’t refute his claim, which means either you know he’s correct or worse, you don’t know your financials—which is reason enough NOT to double the number of children you have. If your husband doesn’t want or can’t afford two more kids, then this is not a debate for you to try and win. I’m so sorry things didn’t shake out the way you wanted, but I also want you to remember that IVF cannot guarantee you a healthy pregnancy nor two healthy babies. Twin pregnancies carry a higher risk than single ones. I suggest you speak to a therapist to help you make peace with the beautiful family of four you already have.
—Jamilah
Personally, I hear twins and see this:

No comments:
Post a Comment